Larkin's pioneer founder, George William Larkin, arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1863, having emigrated from Cambridge, England. His first jobs were to cut stones for the Salt Lake Temple and to ride Pony Express. Later Brigham Young sent him to oversee the Ogden cemetery.
In 1885 George William began the Larkin tradition of arranging funerals in Ogden.
In 1912 a Larkin Mortuary was opened in Salt Lake City under the direction of his son, Alma J. Larkin. In 1925 the business moved to its present location, the Hagenbarth Mansion, at 260 East South Temple. Alma was the driving force of growth for Larkin Mortuary until his untimely death in 1946. His two sons, Alma J. "Jay" Larkin Jr. and Max S. Larkin, assumed management of the company until 1984. Robert "Bob" Larkin served as president of Larkin until 2002.
- Larkin Mortuary
- 260 East South Temple Street,
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
- (801) 363 5781 Office
- Unavailable Fax
- Visit Website
- Send Email